Wednesday, February 18, 2009
“RE: CANESSA GALLERY--ARTISTS! ESCAPE THIS TRAP!!! (financial district),” a recent craigslist post, discusses a problem the artist has with vanity galleries. Canessa Gallery Artist's Resource is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and is not organized for the private benefit of any person. It operates under several generous private donations that cover 75% of $4,000 monthly expenses. In the absence of more donations from our annual fundraising campaign or obtaining a grant of some kind for the exhibition program, artists contribute the remaining 25% either through maximum $1,000 commission on brisk sales or direct donation. The gallery has been running since 1966, a nonprofit since 1993, and remains one of San Francisco's best places to show, entirely free from commercial picking and choosing. Please call the gallery at 415-296-9029 if you have any concerns.